By popular demand, it’s the official CakeBoss Sponge Cake recipe! It is a scratch recipe, and the secret to its light and fluffy texture is the beating of the eggs! This recipe is best made in a stand mixer.
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Do not skip this step!
2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted. Add to batter, beat just until combined.
5. Pour into two greased and floured 8″ round cake pans.
6. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.
Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them. The cakes took about 30 min in my convection oven.
After they cooled, I cut them in half to get 4 layers, filled them with lemon curd then covered the cake with this most delicious frosting.
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sift before measuring
zest of 1 lemon plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of vanilla
Make frosting. In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter 4 minutes, until fluffy. At low speed, beat in confectioners sugar, add the rest of ingredients beat until smooth.