• 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
• 1-1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
• 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
• 1-1/2 tsp. salt
• 3/4 tsp. pepper
• 3/4 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
• 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 1/4 tsp dried thyme
• 1 (4 or 5 lb) whole chicken
• Olive oil
• 1 (12oz) can beer of your choice,
• Mix all dry ingredients together.
• Preheat gas grill.
• Wash & pat dry the chicken with a paper towel.
• Brush the chicken with olive oil, and rub the dry rub all over the chicken. If there’s extra rub, pour remaining rub inside the chicken’s cavity.
• Set aside.
• Open the beer, pour (or drink) out about 1/4 cup, and punch another hole in the top.
• Carefully place the beer can in the center of the grill over indirect medium heat and place the chicken cavity over the can(bottom end down)
• Close grill lid & cook 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees in the breast.
• Carefully remove the chicken & can from grill using a pair of tongs(to hold the chicken) and a spatula to go underneath the beer can.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving
I tried this Rub on chicken split in half in the oven, on the lowest rake broiled for 30 min each side,at 350 deg f. careful cause the sugar burns fast. It was very good.