- 3 small zucchini, diced
- 3 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium-size red onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 or 3 pounds ground minced beef or if you prefer a mix of pork and veal.
- 1 cup panko* (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 teasp basil
- 1/2 teasp oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup ketchup, divided ( one cup into the meat mixture half cup into the glaze for top)
- 1 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine zucchini, peppers, and onions in medium bowl. Add oil and salt & pepper toss to coat. Spread evenly on rimmed baking sheet; . Roast until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven; cool. Transfer to food processor and give the vegetables a buzz around.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix ground beef, panko, basil, oregano 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, dried crushed pepper, and 1 cup roasted vegetables in large bowl. Whisk 1/2 cup ketchup, eggs, in medium bowl. Add to beef mixture; stir until well incorporated;
- Form meatloaf on a rimmed baking sheet, I prefer this to 9×5 loaf pan, the fat doesnt sit in the meat.
- Spoon 1/2 cup ketchup plus 1/2 cup of the roasted vegetables over top of loaf. Bake meatloaf until cooked through, juices run clear, and top is browned, about 1 hour. Remove pan from oven; let meatloaf rest 20 minutes.
- Flaky panko crumbs are the best substitute for fresh breadcrumbs in almost anything, including meatloaf. Look for them in the Asian foods section of the supermarket and at Asian markets.