8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar
7 large eggs, separated
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves
1 cup whipping cream
3 tbsp. sugar
One 9-inch springform pan, buttered; line bottom with a disk of parchment paper
1. Set rack at middle level of oven; preheat to 350Â°F.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light, with a hand mixer at medium speed, or in a heavy-duty mixer using paddle attachment, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add yolks one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in chocolate.
4. In a clean, dry bowl, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Stir about a third of whites into batter, then, using a rubber spatula, gently fold in remaining whites.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth to make the top even. Bake about 40 minutes, until well risen and center is firm and elastic to a fingertip.
6. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes; invert onto a rack to cool completely. Slide cake onto a platter.
7. To finish, place preserves in a small pan and stir over low heat to melt. Pour preserves into center of cake. Cool to room temperature.
8. Whip cream with sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over top of cake, covering preserves, shortly before serving.
Serving: Cut into 10 or 12 wedges. Serve with fresh fruit or berries on the side, if desired