3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
7 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
4 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed & debearded
1. In a large saute pan, cook the chorizo until brown over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
2. Add butter and when melted, add the onions, shallot, fennel seeds, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until veggies are tender.
3. Add the garlic and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for 2minute.
4. Add mussels to pan. Add the wine, 1/4 cup cream, and parsley, and bring to a boil. Stir mussels, cover, and cook until the shells have opened, about 6-8 minutes.
5. Remove mussels from pan to serving bowls. Discard any shells that do not open.
6. In pan with juice, bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes. Add sausage and cream. Bring to boil for 1 minute. Pour juice over mussels.
7. Serve immediately with hot French bread for dipping.