Autumn Harvest Pot Roast
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
4 pounds boneless beef rump roast, trimmed, tied
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-1/2 cups diced onions
1 can (14-oz.) beef broth
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 bay leaf
2 cups diced carrots
2 cups cubed white turnips
1 pound red potatoes, quartered
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
1 pound zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch-thick semicircles
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees F
2. Combine salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and ginger in small bowl. Pat meat with paper towels. Rub spice mixture all over meat.
3. Heat oil over high heat in heavy roasting pan. Add meat and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer meat to a large plate.
4. Add onions to pan and cook 5 minutes. Return meat to pan; add beef broth, garlic and bay leaf. Cover roasting pan and transfer to oven. Roast 2 hours.
5. Add carrots, turnips, potatoes and butternut squash to pan; roast, uncovered, 30 to 45 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender.
6. Meanwhile, bring 2 inches water to boil in saucepan with steamer rack insert. Place zucchini on rack in pan. Cover and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Toss zucchini with vegetables.
7. Transfer roast to cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Slice roast across the grain. Serve with vegetables and broth.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 506 , total fat: 16.5g , saturated fat: 4.5g , cholesterol: 123mg , sodium: 1028mg , carbohydrate: 37g , protein: 51g