.Though this recipe is for a whole chicken, it works well for cut-up pieces, too.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), or 2 legs and 2 breasts, skin-on
- 5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 1.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat small roasting dish that holds chicken snugly with oil and set aside.
- 2.If using whole chicken, carefully separate skin from the breast and tuck thyme sprigs underneath. If using pieces, strip leaves from thyme and chop them.
- 3.Combine oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme leaves (if using) in bowl and mix well. Sprinkle mixture over the chicken and rub well to coat. If using whole chicken, rub inside as well, and stuff with onion and transfer to baking dish. If using pieces, tuck onion pieces amongst chicken in dish skin-side up.
- 4.Roast chicken for 20 minutes, then turn heat down to 350F. Allow 50-60 minutes for whole bird, or 35-45 minutes for pieces; cook until internal temperature of breast registers 155°F.