This is excellent with a roast beef. I usually make it in my head so I hope this turns out for you.
24 small white onions, peeled
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
salt and pepper
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2-3 tablespoons melted butter
1. Cook onions in water (enough to cover the onions) until tender; reserve 1cup liquid from the onions, discard the remaining liquid.
2. In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter, whisk in flour, slowly add in the milk, and the reserved liquid from the onions; whisk until smooth and thick. add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
3. Place onions in greased casserole and pour sauce over..
4. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter.
5. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the casserole.
6. Cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, uncover the last 20 minutes of baking to brown the top.
7. Note: If desired, 2-3 cloves fresh minced garlic may be added to the melted butter before whisking in the flour.