from London’s Ottolenghi
Makes: 1 standard loaf
- 3large eggs
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 1tablespoon poppy seeds
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons (1 tablespoon)
- 1 1/3cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 325° F. Grease the loaf pan and line with parchment paper, then set aside.
- Place the eggs and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment in place and whisk on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, until pale and frothy. Add the sour cream and continue to beat for about 2 minutes, until the mixture has combined.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, stir in the poppy seeds and lemon zest, and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl, then use a rubber spatula to fold this into the egg mixture before folding in the butter, poppy seeds, and zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan so that it rises three-quarters of the way up the sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not open the oven door to check the cake during the first 45 minutes of baking.
- To make the glaze, whisk the confectioners’ sugar with the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, spreading it over the top so that it sinks in and creates a nice coating. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Leave to come to room temperature before serving.