Makes 12 buns
Â· 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Â· 1 teaspoon baking powder
Â· 1 teaspoon baking soda
Â· 1/4 teaspoon salt
Â· 1/2 pound (one 8-ounce package) cream cheese, softened
Â· 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
Â· 1 cup sugar
Â· 2 large eggs, at room temperature
Â· 1/4 cup milk
Â· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Â· 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
Â· Confectionersâ€™ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and lightly flour 12 large muffin cups.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Drop 3 small dollops (about a teaspoonful each) of raspberry preserves onto the top of each bun and, using the tip of a sharp knife, swirl the preserves into the batter, forming a decorative pattern. Bake for 25â€“30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the bun comes out clean.
5. Allow the buns to cool for about 30 minutes before sprinkling with confectionersâ€™ sugar and serve.