2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion diced fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 (28 oz can) diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 pounds stewing beef cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 large bunch of Swiss chard chopped or Spinach
2 pounds potatoes peeled
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute until the onions begin to caramelize about 10 minutes, add garlic and sauce for 1 minute more.
2. Stir in the can of tomatoes and honey, the honey doesn’t add sweetness but takes the tartness out of the tomatoes, and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in beef and bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for an hour.You are probably thinking why didn’t she brown the meat first? No Need, you want the meat soft and it comes out perfect.
4.Add basil, oregano and pepper simmer another 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
5. Use a slotted spoon, place the meat into a 9×12 inch casserole dish. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
6. In a measuring cup whisk together the cornstarch and water and stir into the simmering sauce, simmer for 1 minute until it starts to thicken, Do Not over simmer, the cornstarch will break-up, Pour over the meat. Set aside and let it cool. Then use the best tools you have Your Fingers and shred the meat unless you like it chunky.
7.Microwave or boil the Swiss chard or spinach for 2 minute and squeeze out as much water as you can.spread evenly over the stew.
8. Make your favourite Mashed Potatoes, I used 4 or 5 russet, I find the make the best mashed potatoes.
9. Top the beef stew with and even layer of the mashed potatoes and smooth the out with a spatula.
10. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minute or until golden brown.
Let rest for 15 minute.
Serve and enjoy!