• Nonstick Cooking Spray
• 32 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
• 1/4 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
• 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) butter, melted
• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Coat a 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. For easy removal and cleanup, line pan with an 8-by-16-inch sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides to act as handles.
2. In a small saucepan, combine caramels and cream.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
4. In a large bowl stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and melted butter until well blended.
5. Press half of the oat mixture into the bottom of the lined pan.
6. Bake until just set and starting to color around edges, about 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
8. Sprinkle crust with chocolate chips and pecans (if using).
9. Drizzle caramel mixture over the chocolate chips.
10. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
11. Bake until pale golden, 15 to 20 minutes more.
12. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in pan before cutting into desired size bars/squares
The worst thing about this recipe was unwrapping all those dang caramels! But way worth it 🙂
These are Delicious! I would keep the carmel sauce away from the edges so that it’s easier to take off the foil.